Wednesday, May 1, 2013

S'more Fun Please!

We had a busy but fun weekend and it was full of "firsts" for our family!  Rory participated in his very first marshmallow roast!  He was intrigued by the entire process and stuck extra close to Josh.


You know those moments when you just happen to have your camera and the cutest thing happens?  Well, that never happens for me.  Toddlers are fast and I'm sure they are equipped with a 6th sense that says, "Mom is getting the camera so I must stop being cute and refuse to take a picture."  Not this time though--Josh received a random kiss and I was able to catch it.  It's these sweet memories I want to remember forever.




You can't tell from the picture but Mom and I made our s'mores with Reese cups...yum!  You must try it if you haven't already.





Rory wasn't so into the s'mores like I thought he would be--but he LOVES marshmallows and by the time I realized what was happening he had packed away at least 7.  :)  I was so focused on keeping him from getting too close to the fire that I hadn't paid attention to all the marshmallows he'd been eating!  He's a sneaky one!


On Sunday after church, we headed to Kings Island for the day and had a blast!  Not sure if you've ever had blueberry soft serve ice cream but it is must.  We eat it once a year and it's a real treat!




Last year, Rory wasn't tall enough to ride much but since growing 6 inches in a year it opened a world of possibilities and he had a blast!  Cars, trains and planes-oh my!




Rory was pumped to ride this airplane and this was the first real ride that he went on without me that did more than go around in a circle.  I was a nervous nelly--can you see how high the planes went?  Internally, I was freaking out and wondering why helmets, knee pads and elbow pads were not provided!  I was trying so hard not to be one of those Moms so, I waited patiently, waved and took pictures and we all lived to tell about it! 




Dad and Rory on his first roller coaster--he had no idea what to expect since the line was short and the boys walked right on.  After riding, he pointed to a bigger roller coaster and said, "I want to ride that one!"  I think I have a future roller coaster rider on my hands!  Luckily, Josh and my Dad and brother like that sort of thing.  Personally, it makes me nervous just thinking about it!  I really go for the blueberry ice cream!




                                     






Rory had waited all day to ride these helicopters--he kept asking and the line was sooo long.  I promised him we would come back when the line got shorter.  Towards the end of the day we headed that way so he could ride...and that is when the rain clouds started rolling in.  It looked as though the storm would hold off long enough for a ride and quick exit of the park.  After waiting about 20 minutes, the boys finally got their chance, loaded into the helicopter, put on their seat belt and the attendant locked the door....and then, the phone rang.  The park shut down the ride due to weather conditions.  My heart just sunk and I had major mom-guilt---they were literally seconds from leaving on their ride and now had to unload.  I think I was more upset than Rory was about it!  He didn't bat an eye--thankfully kids are resilient and my lesson is learned.  Next year we will hit the helicopters first before the line gets too long!


I can't wait to see what next year brings and what rides Rory will enjoy!  It was such a joy to see him experience these new things for the very first time.  I think it makes us feel like kids too!

No comments: