Wednesday, May 29, 2013

3rd Birthday Extravaganza



It's hard to believe but 3 years ago this is exactly what we were doing....

I
To say the time has flown by would be nothing short of an understatement!  There is not a thing we would change and we are so blessed to have been given our son.  I'm thankful that God chose me to be his Mom and it's a title I wear proudly!

Today-we did all of Rory's favorite things.  It was a warm beautiful sunny day-just perfect for a birthday celebration!

We started our day off with breakfast in the airport control tower!  This is a smaller regional airport but today there was plenty of traffic and we spent an hour and a half just watching the planes land and take off.  On the way home we were stopped by a train which for most would be an inconvenience.  I guess true passage into being a mother of a boy is being excited that we were the first car to be stopped by the signal and have a front row viewing of the train.  Planes and trains-what more could we want?


We had a picnic lunch with our friends--it was our first picnic and our first time using the kids picnic table.  It was nice to spend a relaxing afternoon on the deck.


I asked Rory where he wanted to go for his birthday and exclaimed, "Dinosaur Island" so late afternoon we headed to the zoo.  It was the perfect time to go and most exhibits we had all to ourselves.  Rory loves dinosaurs and when he saw this one said, "There is a brachiosaurus!"  


The boat ride is part of the dinosaur exhibit and something that we always ride if it is running.  It's fast becoming part of our zoo repertoire.


He has loved the carousel ever since the first time we visited the zoo--he just loves it and has a blast!  He bee-bops to the music and giggles the entire time!



Typically, I don't get over to the the stingray area of the zoo on the weekends because it is too crowded.    Josh and Rory can make it there during the week so it was a real treat for all 3 of us to check it out.  We had the entire stingray pool to ourselves.  Rory wasn't at all scared and reached right in the touch pool and had a blast.  The zoo had fish we could feed the stingrays and since it was a birthday celebration we indulged!  Rory wasn't a bit scared and held the fish just as the zoo keeper instructed--he loved it and again, giggled the entire time!  I, however, was a little more hesitant.  You can see we had varying degrees of fun at this exhibit!


By special request we had pizza for dinner--it doesn't get much easier than that!  After dinner, we walked down to the gourmet chocolate store and got a small box of candies as a birthday treat.









At the ripe old age of 3 Rory didn't think about presents so I had forgotten we had presents to open!  I know a water bottle seems so impersonal but he loves drinking out of water bottles so when I found one just his size I couldn't pass it up.


Long before Rory was in our lives, Josh has dreamt of teaching his son how to catch and throw a baseball.  I envision many evenings of these two playing catch long after bedtime.

If the first 3 years went by so fast I can't imagine how the next 3 will go!  We couldn't be more happy as a family with our 3 year old!




1 comment:

The Chicken Lady said...

Sounds like a fun day! Mom and I were Murphy's oiling the stairs yesterday and she said, "Don't you remember ripping up the carpet and Dan coming home because he was out in the field and the carpet was gone?" I then realized that it was 3 years ago to the day! I was ripping out carpet in the house the day Rory was born. Dan was replanting corn and baling hay. Funny how you remember exactly what you were doing on important days!