Thursday, May 23, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap


I've had this on my to do list every time I run out of laundry soap.  I never got around to it though because it seemed like I could always get store bought on sale or even buy one get one free.  I usually buy generic because national brands are just way too expensive!  I've never really had a need for homemade until recently.

Josh has sensitive skin and so does Rory.  I always buy the "free and clear" and up until now that has worked really well.   The last couple weeks Rory has complained of being itchy and has little bumps on his trunk.  Don't worry though I've checked it out and it just skin irritiation.  When Rory was a baby I remember someone held him that had on too much perfume and his little face was all red and splotchy.  Recently, though I've been an itchy mess...my arms, scalp, shoulders, chin, neck and even my calves.  I've never had this problem before and always just bought whatever shampoo, body wash, etc for myself. 

Since we are all an itchy mess I'm having to back track and re-evaluate the products that we are using.  While my initial plan for making homemade detergent blossomed out of saving money it's now become more urgent.  This was so easy that I wished that I had made this long before now.

My initial inspiration came from various pinterest boards and blogs.  This is what I used:

-1 box of Borax
-1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
-1 box of baking soda (the big box)
-1 container of Oxy Clean (I used the free and clear)
-2 bars of Dove Sensitive Skin

Recipes that I have seen called for Fels Naptha or Pure Castille Soap, neither of which I could find so Dove it is!




The first step is to grate the soap--I used my cheese grater.



Then, find a cute little helper and a bucket to mix everything in!  I always have one of these on hand.


I poured half of everything in, then stirred and then poured in the rest and stirred again so everything would be nice and mixed up.  This was a perfect project for a busy yet helpful toddler!  He loved pouring and stirring.


From my research on Pinterest and the blogosphere it looks like each load of laundry only requires about 2 tablespoons of homemade detergent so that is what I'm sticking with.  The supplies cost about $20 total and I can't qutie tell how long this will last but I estimate it will either save a little money or be the same cost as store bought.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will also be easier on our skin.

It may be weird to say but now I'm anxious to do some laundry with my new soap!  Clearly, it's the little things in life that please me.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I run into this issue all the time. I can't use certain shampoos because I become a giant rash. My most recent episode happened when I went cheap and purchased Kroger brand drier sheets. I was a mess! If I were smart, I'd compare the ingredients to find out what I'm allergic to, but that hasn't happened yet. Let me know how the soap goes! I've been wanting to try that for forever!