Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pumpkin Carving for Beginners

 
This is the first year we've carved pumpkins since we've had a little one and it was a lot of fun!  Everything was all new to Rory so it was so fun to watch his expressions and see everything for the first time.  Rory was fascinated by the entire process!
 
Josh started by cutting off the top of the gargantuan pumpkin that he picked out!  Rory had markers to draw on his pumpkin while Josh carved his, although it ended up being a team effort.
 
 

Josh started scooping out the middle. 


We tried to get Rory to help but while Josh was scooping out the inside all he would say is, "Ew, yucky!"  Haha-like his Mama!
 


I've never kept the pumpkin seeds before but I thought since I'm trying to be more resourceful and not waste; I'd roast them this year. More on that later.  After a few tries Rory was ok with touching the seeds so he was very helpful at sorting the pumpkin from the seeds.  Although, occasionally I'd hear, "Run Mommy...pumpkin seed!"


While we sorted, Josh finished carving.  Josh carried the pumpkin out front so we could admire his handiwork.


The light was hard to see since it was just dusk out so we had to come back before bedtime to check it out.


Pumpkin carving was a hit this year and we'll be sure to make it a Halloween tradition.

2 comments:

Sacred Saving said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how roasting the seeds went. I tried it and it didn't turn out as good as I thought it would:(

Jenna Smith said...

I will keep you posted on how they turn out!