Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homemade Graham Cracker Crust

Josh's birthday is coming up and one of his favorite things is cheesecake.  This year I decided to make a cheesecake from scratch....but to start I needed a graham cracker crust.  You can buy these at the store for $3 or so but everytime I buy one it's always cracked by the time I get it home, very powdery and limited on taste.  I'm not sure when I started using this recipe from Betty Crocker but it's very easy and I bet you have all the ingredients that you need.

1 sleeve of graham crackers
3 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of butter

I like a thicker crust so I use more graham crackers and butter; but that it the beauty of it!  If you want a thinner crust just use less.  The recipe above will give you the same consistency as the store bought.

I love to get Rory helping in the kitchen any chance I get and this is a perfect recipe for little hands to help with.  We started by breaking down the crackers and putting them in a larger plastic bag.



Then we mash up those crackers!


...and mash and mash and mash!


Next scoop your sugar in.

Give the bag a good shake so the sugar is mixed in.


Then add in your butter and mix with a fork.  Once the all the grahams are coated in butter press down with wax paper or a spatula. 






Then bake at 350 degrees for at least 10 minutes. My crust was thick so I baked it about 20 minutes. You will know it's done with the graham starts to brown and your kitchen smells amazing!



I'm so thankful I have boys that don't mind the cleaning up process!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful! I'll have to try it. Do you have a good cheesecake recipe?

Jenna Smith said...

The pumpkin one I made for Josh turned out super yummy!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/double-layer-pumpkin-cheesecake-2/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=pumpkin%20cheesecake&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page