Thursday, October 18, 2012

Homemade Cooking Spray

On my quest of being more "homemade" one of the first things I've discovered is homemade cooking spray.  I feel like I went though my last bottle of store bought spray within a very short time.  It costs almost $3 per bottle, it mists all over other things and I recently looked at the ingredients list and there are a few things I couldn't pronounce.

I got to thinking...it is just oil right?  Except it's put in a pressurized can for convenience.  Why can't I just put regular oil in a spray bottle and call it a day?  I began my research and found all sorts of "recipes" online and how you should and should not make homemade cooking spray. 

So far I've only tried one receipe but it's working great and I love it!  I only needed 3 things and they all were things that I already had on hand, which in my mind is the same as free.

Spray Bottle
Distilled Water (I just bought a few gallons for the humidifier)
Olive Oil


Important tip--I wanted to use tap water but after further investigation not such a great idea.  It can harbor and grow bacteria if not used quickly...so, it's best to use distilled water.

I started by washing the spray bottle using hot soapy water and took all the pieces apart to get it good and clean...BUT, then decided to go a step further and sterilize it.  I occasionally did this with Rory's bottles and pacifiers after he was sick....it's super easy!  Just boil water, throw in what you want to sterilize and let boil for 5 minutes. 

Remove the pieces from the water and once cool, reassemble the spray bottle. 

The next step is getting the oil to water ratio correct and I think this depends on how much/what you bake and how oily you want your surface.  My mix was 2 parts oil and 1 part water. 

Seriously, that is all you do.  Give the bottle a shake each time before you use it since naturally oil and water separate.

I've used this so far for everything I would have used store bought spray for and can not tell the difference...and I have to say I will not go back to store bought spray now that I know how easy this is.

7 comments:

Emily said...

I will have to try this out. This past week Jeff and I went through our kitchen taking note of just how much of our food includes ingredients we cannot pronounce. Though I will never be able to live without the store-bought stuff, replacing little things here and there is nice to do.

Jenna Smith said...

Emily-I completely agree! Let me know how yours turns out or if you try something different.

Kathryn said...

May I ask a dumb question? When you say "parts" like 1 part to 2 parts, how much is a part? "Parts" don't show up on my measurment plaque on my fridge :)

Jenna Smith said...

Kathryn-You won't find "parts" as an exact measurement anywhere...that is the cool thing about it. It bascially means you use 1/3 water and 2/3 oil. So fill your bottle up 1/3 of the way with distilled water and and the other 2/3 of the way up with oil for a total of 3 parts. :)

Kathryn said...

Thanks Jenna! I was actually joking about the "parts" not showing up on my measurements plaque. I have read recipes before where people use parts, and I didn't know what they meant. I'm usually following measurement recipes pretty closely. Thanks for clarifying that for me! Have you found that the spray bottle works all right with your cooking spray? Does it clog at all? I ask because friends recommended a misto pump, but the reviews on it were not that great. I'll probably just go with the spray bottle too. Thanks for your help!

Kathryn said...

How long does this spray keep?

Jenna Smith said...

Hi Kathryn! :) I've read different time frames for how long it lasts. Oil can last for quite awhile in the pantry and so can distilled water but put the two of them together and it probably shortens the life. I purposely did not fill my bottle full...closer to the half way mark so I would run out around the 6-8 week mark.