Sunday, October 7, 2012

Go the Distance

One of the first things I've made instead of buying is power bars or protein bars.  See, my Dad and Brother, Seth, are avid cyclists.


In past years I've bought all sorts of protein products as birthday or Chrstimas presents but they can get quiet pricey, have weird ingredients and you don't get a whole lot of product for the money.  I recently found this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine for homemade snack bars that are chock full of healthy and wholesome ingredients.  I had to give them a try!  They are so delicious and perfect for an everyday healthy snack so I wanted to share. 

Go the Distance
3 1/4 cups of Kashie Heart to Heart honey cereal (Cheerios would also be an acceptable option)
2 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup unblanced almonds
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup flaxseed  (instead of using partial groud and whole, I used 1/2 cup of whole flaxseeds)
1/4 cup uncooked oat brand cereal
1/4 cup wheat bran
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups honey
1 tsp vanilla

First, melt peanut butter and honey in a saucepan.  While it is melting work on combining all the dry ingredients.


Once it is melted add in the vanilla.




It never hurts to test along the way!!

Pour melted mixture over top the dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour and spread into a greased pan.  I let ours sit for a few hours before cutting up.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

The Chicken Lady said...

I want to try these! Thanks for sharing

Stefanie said...

I just found another power bar recipe that was really good. Do you use flaxseed a lot? I was supposed to put it in my recipe but I forgot to buy some at the store!

Jenna Smith said...

Hi Stefanie! Yes-I do use flax seed a lot. I mix a little bit into just about anything that I'm baking, bread, cookies, etc. The whole seeds are good for homemade bars and the ground flax seed is good if you want to hide it. :)