Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Some are Silver and the Others Gold

"Make new friends, but keep the old. Some are silver and the others gold."  Remember that song from Girl Scouts?  Well, I actually never made it past the Daisies but we still sang that song. This song always runs through my head when we met new great friends and sadly when friends leave.  When we moved across the state we left all of our friends.  It's not that we aren't still friends but things are just different when you live 2 hours away.  It just is.  However, it gave us the chance to meet new friends!

I met Katie for the first time when she moved in exactly a week and two doors down from our condo.  The second time she popped in to see if she could borrow our internet connection.  Hey, what are good neighbors for?  Maddie is only about 4 months younger than Rory and instantly our families had a connection.


These people were the kind of neighbors you always want to have.  We watched out for each other, traded babysitting and animal sitting services and routinely shared groceries, treats and dinner.  The kind of neighbors you can call when you baby is throwing up with a high fever and magically jello shows up at your door.  They patiently endured and taste tested my quest to find the best recipe for pumpkin bread in the fall and cherry bread in the spring.

Our husbands both worked lots of hours so us girls and the kiddos spent quite a bit of time together.  Trips to the zoo were always more fun with friends and when the power went out for 4 days we braved a trip to JoAnn's fabric store to wait 30+ minutes in line for fabric with 2 toddlers.  Although I love the trucks, tractors and legos, it was nice to have a little girl in the house.  Maddie routinely went home with clips in her hair because I just couldn't help myself!!




Not only did the kids have a great time I really enjoyed having another mom, friend and woman to talk to.  Katie was my first friend when we moved to this new city.  She is one of the strongest and most independent women that I know.  If it weren't for her I think I would still be adjusting to this new place we call home and trying to figure my way around. It was heart-breaking when we had to say good-bye and I maybe did the ugly cry just a little bit.  I don't have a sister but if I did I imagine that she would be like Katie. We will never forget and will always appreciate the great friendship we forged!  I am so thankful that modern technology allows us to keep in touch and stay connected.

Sometimes it's the people you only know for a short while that you want in your lives forever!

No comments: