...just might be my treasure. Let me preface this by saying I'm not a trash picker or a dumpster diver. BUT, sometimes these amazing treasures find me. I've found some really great things that were on there way to the trash dump and I'd like to think it was my "green" duty to rescue them.
My first amazing find was about 4 years ago. Someone in my parents neighborhood and done some remodeling and they were throwing away 2 long (like 12 foot) pieces of the white wire shelving. It's the kind that Home Depot sells for almost $1 per foot and is great for closets. I sent my Dad to get the mini-van and those shelved ended up saving us a lot money when we renovated one of the closets in our old house to a pantry, turned a storage area into a coat closet and gave us lots of extra storage in our laundry room.
I've also been looking for one of those Little Tyke picnic tables for Rory for a long time. You know, the yellow, red and blue plastic ones? I've kept my eye out driving by garage sales and had yet to find one....until now! Driving to meet some friends for dinner in our hometown, low and behold a picnic table and little plastic bike was sitting by someones mailbox. I asked Josh if he thought those might be out for the trash...I wish I could have captured the look he gave me when he said, "I don't know...do you want me to turn around?" Josh humored me and back tracked so I could knock on the door to get the scoop. A young girl answered the door and said if I wanted them to take them. Seriously?? I offered to pay her but she wouldn't take any money. It was like hitting the lottery. The picnic table will get a good scrub down when it gets warmer and I found another little boy that could use the bike since Rory already has quite a few. Josh gets props for this one too because the picnic table wouldn't fit in the car with our suitcases so he carried it the 1/4 mile back to our friends house.
My latest find was coming home after Trick-or-Treat. We live in a condo (not ideal) and the carports are set up so we share one big carport with our our neighbor. Each condo gets one parking spot in the carport. I pulled in our spot and noticed some furniture on the other side. I dismissed it but then quickly realized that I should get a closer look. I turned the headlights on and found these beauties....
The little side table is solid wood and just needs a new handle, some sand paper and a fresh stain or paint job. The dresser might be a little trickier because it's not solid wood...I guess laminate maybe, but envision this...new decorative trim, painted white and glass knobs on the front. Both are great pieces but they just need a little love. I'll keep you updated on their new and improved look!
I should also mention that I did ask my neighbor about the furniture and he was more than willing to get rid of it. Even offered to help me carry it in the house!
I've never done very well at garage sales or second hand stores so I guess the curb it is!
What treasures have you found lately?
No comments:
Post a Comment