Sunday, November 4, 2012

Homemade Child's Neck Pillow

All too often my little man falls asleep in the car.  We travel a fair amount and try to do it at nap time so Rory can sleep in the car.  Our family is about 120 miles away and we make the drive about times a month.  Rory is a great traveler!  I always feel bad though when he falls asleep and his little head bobs back and forth.  You can easily find neck pillows for adults but I wanted a child size one.  With my new motto of being homemade and using what I have on hand I decided to try and make one.  It was such an easy project and worth the effort!


I started by making a "U" shape pattern out of tissue paper and pinning it to my fabric.  Make sure the fabric is layered so you are cutting out 2 pieces at the same time.



Once the pieces are cut, pin the right sides together.  In other words, you will see the wrong side of the fabric.


Then sew the pieces together leaving a small opening for stuffing.


Start stuffing!  This was the only part of the project that I had to buy.  A small bag of stuffing cost $3 and I still have plenty left!


 Once the pillow is stuffed, sew up the small opening my hand...and that, my friends, is it!


This pillow was VERY worth the effort...it probably took about an hour from start to finish.  No more head bobbing here!


Don't worry--I took the picture at a stop light!  I think this pillow is going to get plenty of use.

No comments: