It's quite a treat to spend the day together--although we all commented on how fast the day goes by. If we were at work for the day, it wouldn't seem to go that fast! The boys have fun playing and although they aren't old enough to play together, yet, that day is fast approaching. I can't wait to see them running around together and having a great time.
Becca has a home pasteurizer so I was able to have a fresh glass of milk--it is whole milk, and it was SO delicious!! I love milk though-yum!
Once fresh milk sits, cream rises to the top. We had 4 pints of fresh cream. You could either use the cream or "shake it down" into butter. An electric churn took care of 3 of the pints while the rest of us took turns shaking the other pint. I wanted to full experience!
Once that was done, we had butter and what was left is buttermilk. Yum and double yum!
After that, this city girl got a lesson in gathering eggs. It was an experience. Rory wasn't afraid at all--he marched right in and said, "move chicks!" I was a little more hesitant--I was pretty sure they were going to peck my hands or my eyeballs. (Seen Alfred Hitchcook's Birds?) I may have squealed a time or too but I got the job done.
You know spring is almost here when Becca starts talking baby chicks. This is the first "flock" that I've seen come in. Rory hopped right in there with her and was checking things out. It's funny to me how he isn't afraid of much.
Now this size chicken is more my speed!
Shortly after cuddling this little gal, she pooped on me so I went inside to play with Carl. :) Fulfilling my auntly duties. The boys stayed out longer to visit with Jimmy and Charlie. Rory even helped clean out the stalls. He's a good little worker!
It's back to the city for us for now but we always know where to go when we need some fresh air and good company!
No comments:
Post a Comment