Saturday, March 8, 2014

Menu Plan thru March 15, 2014

I've been part time nearly a month now (and I love it!).  We've had to make a few changes to our lifestyle and one was not eating out quite as much.  It's tested my cooking abilities and savvy shopping.

I've been purchasing the "managers special" meat at our local market.  Sometimes it's half the price of meat and the sell by date is usually still a few days out.  I throw it in my freezer as soon as I get home and then plan the next week's meals off of that.  It also helps that we purchased 1/4 beef stocked in our freezer.  Even though it's a financial chunk up front overall it's much less expensive and the quality doesn't compare to grocery store beef.  I don't buy the beef at the store even if it is on "managers special"!  In the next month or so we are purchasing 1/2 pork.  I don't cook a whole lot with pork, although I do love bacon!  So, this will be stretching my comfort level even more to find out what I can do with those cuts of meat.

I've also noticed that the past 2 weeks I've had at least 2 carry over meals.  With their being only 3 of us, and one of us only eats half portions, we generally have quite a bit of leftovers.  Some nights I skip cooking (yes!) and we have a leftover buffet.

Ok, so onto the plan!

Monday: B-french toast, blueberries
               L-leftover country fried steak, green beans
               S-yogurt
               D-Shepherd's Pie

Tuesday: B-pancakes from freeze, strawberries
               L-leftover shepherd's pie
               S-apple slices
               D-ham & bean soup (carryover from last week)

Wednesday: B-monkey bread
                    L-Mom & Rory out while Dad is at work
                    S-granola bar
                    D-Skyline!!

Thursday: B-toast and bananas
                 L-leftover soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
                 S-fruit
                 D-Lasagna D'Italia with garlic bread

Friday: B-scrambled eggs and pancakes from freezer
            L-leftover lasagna
            S-graham crackers with peanut butter
            D-Cincinnati Chili

Saturday: B-cereal & milk
                L-out after seeing Sesame Street Live!  (more about that later)
               S-crackers or raisins
               D-pulled BBQ chicken with soda bread (carryover from last week)

Sunday: B-granola bar
              L-leftovers
              S & D-hodge podge

I link up to Organizational Junkie for menu sharing ideas.

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

The Fischer Family said...

Your menu looks great...ham & bean soup and shepard's pie are 2 of my faves! I saw the Cincinnati chili...I'm from Cincinnati so every time I see someone mention Cincinnati Chili I have to make a shout out to the Queen City! Made my way over from MPM. Have a wonderful week!