Monday, December 31, 2012

Menu Plan thu January 6, 2013

Here it is folks!  The first menu plan of 2013!!  I hope it's not a bad sign but I'm having trouble figuring out my menu this week.  I don't think so and part of the reason is my Dad bought me a brand new cookbook for Christmas and I've been soaking it in deciding what to try first. 

You see, it's from one of my favorite cooking shows America's Test Kitchen.  If you've ever had the chance to watch this, it's a real treat.  I started liking after visiting my Grandma and we would watch it together.  It's WAY different from the average cooking show that gives you a recipe and shows you how to put it together.  This group of cooks practices the recipes over and over with different types of ingredients to see which is the best and the outcomes of different brands or types of ingredients will give you.  For example, I watched one on potato salad.  They tested 6 different kinds of potatos to see which had the best flavor and which would hold up better in a salad. 

I love to bake and can cook but am much better at baking.  I think because it is a science, ingredients are there for a reason and all the ingredients have to work together.  America's Test Kitchen also goes behind the science of why you use certain ingridients.  For example, if you use baking soda you need also need something acidic in the mix to activate the soda.  Interesting stuff, right?  Maybe I'm a dork but I'm fascinated but it and has helped me be a better baker/cook.  It's so much easier to make substitutions and swap ingredients out when you know how things work together.

So, here is what I have so far...I'll get the rest hammered out tonight while the little one sleeps and I watch the ball drop...or fall asleep before the ball drops! :)

Monday-leftover pancakes, bacon and fruit
Tuesday-Mom's Bestest Chicken Soup (Gooseberry Patch)
Wednesday-Soft Tacos with rice
Thursday-Chicken and pasta alfredo with peas, asparagus and broccoli (inspiration from Giant Eagle)
Friday-
Saturday-
Sunday-

This menu can also be seen here.

Happy New Year and Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like America's Test Kitchen too - it fascinates me! Enjoy your new cookbook. :)

Unknown said...

We are big ATK fans in this house, too. I get Cook's Illustrated, which my husband prefers over the show. I prefer the show as so many of their recipes are written in a way that reads weird to my brain.

Visiting from Menu Plan Monday. :)

http://blog.thislifeofours.net

katjok said...

That show sounds cool! Thanks for sharing!!