If you are like me, I've bought countless canisters of bread crumbs at the grocery store. Bread crumbs are great for so many things...meatloaf, homemade chicken nuggets, meatballs, hamburgers...the list could go on and on. The last time I used store bought crumbs I realized that I've been using them but they didn't really taste like much and it seemed so odd to me that they lasted for months on end in the pantry. Bread molds so shouldn't the crumbs?
Here begins my bread crumb endeavor. I've used multiple types of bread to make crumbs, leftover stale bread or buns. This is great way to use up the heels that no one wants to eat. If you are like us we almost always bring home leftover rolls or bread loaves from restaurants. I can't bear to waste. This particular batch came from an Amish (maybe Mennonite restaurant) and I knew the bread was homemade and I couldn't let it go to waste. Because it was homemade it went stale very quickly....the only downside to not using preservatives. I'll show you how easy it is to make homemade bread crumbs!
If your bread isn't already stale let it sit out all day to get good and stale.
Once it's stale cut or tear in chunks and run it through your food processor.
Make sure the crumbs are pretty small otherwise you'll have chunks that are too big to be useful as "crumbs."
Spread out the bread on a baking sheet.
I bake mine at 350 for about 10 minutes or so. You have to check often and flip the crumbs there is a fine line between toasted and burnt...it happens fast.
At this point you could be done but personally, I prefer the seasoned crumbs. You could season either right before you use but I'd rather get it done since I am already working in the kitchen. These are some of the spices that I like. Parmesan cheese is also a yummy one but I didn't use that this time.
Once cooled divide the crumbs up in plastic baggies. I put about a cup in each and toss in the freezer.
Really, it's that easy! I have to tell you this will make your house smell like you are making homemade bread! Not only does it smell great but I can tell a huge difference in dishes that I've used homemade crumbs rather than store bought.
I usually only make them when my oven is already fired up for dinner. If you don't have enough bread to make a whole batch toss the bread in the freezer as you collect it and then make one big batch!
Happy Baking!
No comments:
Post a Comment