Friday, September 28, 2012

An American Family...

I think my fascination of the 40s-50's started when the American Girl books came out...my favorite character was Molly.  Do you remember those?  She grew up during WWII and her Dad was a doctor in the miliarty and her Mom worked rolling gauze and filling medical kits.  Women made most of what their family had and if they couldn't make it or didn't already have it they did without.  Neighbors helped each other and shared resources.  It was the day of Rosie the Riveter.

My first real experience of being a Rosie was Christmas a few years ago.  Josh was at work and I decided to put up the Christmas tree and string the lights.  He doesn't really enjoy that part and I'm very particular about how the lights look...very particular.  It's easier to do them myself rather than re-do what someone else has already done.  I was up to the very top part of the tree with two strands of lights left...plugged them in and nothing.  Tried a different outlet and still nothing.  I could have cried.  My tree wasn't finished, there were no working lights left and we really didn't have the money to go spend $20 on new lights.  So, I sat there with those strands of lights and wiggled each bulb until I figured out which was loose and within a short time I had them working!!!  I have no electrical experience but I can now change out Christmas lights on a strand like a pro!

With all that being said, I'm on a new quest to live more simply.  This world whizzes by at a crazy high technological speed and I so desperatley want to slow down.  So, I've channeled my inner Rosie and am ready to try and do new things.  I want to do this for myself but more importantly for my boys who I love so stinkin' much!

No comments: