Josh and I found out about a year ago that Disney was releasing a movie similar to the Cars franchise that was about planes. We figured Rory would be old enough to go to the theater by then so we've anxiously been anticipating the release of Disney's Planes.
I took half the day off so we could go see a matinee (it's cheaper that way!), go to dinner and still be home in time for bed! After work I picked up the boys and we headed over to a part of town we don't normally go to. We like it there though-busy, lost of shops and things to see. We hit up the local Christian bookstore first. Well, I did since Rory fell asleep in the car on the ride over and Josh stayed with him. It was nice but did make me miss the bookstore back home. I realize though--I need to get over that and things are different here.
There were hardly any people at the theater and we practically had the place to ourselves.
We splurged on popcorn--which was oh so delicious slathered in fake movie theater butter!
Rory was enthralled and sat through the whole thing. Thankfully, previews are a bit shorter with kids movies. He stood up a couple times but mostly sat in the chair and paid attention the entire time.
The movie was very cute but even for a 3 year old I found myself explaining things that I wasn't quite ready for. The basic premise was the underdog rising to the occasion and along the way some people (or planes) are helpful and supportive while others are mean and resort to sabotage. Rory couldn't understand why some planes were not being nice to Dusty, the main character. Dusty's coach is a old war plane that is teaching him maneuverability skills. At one point, the coach flashes back to his only time fighting in war--there were guns, explosions and planes meeting their death in the deep blue ocean. It was all done in Disney fashion but still left quite a bit to be explained.
I know that soon enough he will be exposed to these things but for now his innocence is so precious and fragile. I appreciate the fact that he doesn't understand why people aren't helpful or are mean to each other. In some ways, it makes me feel like we've done something correctly in these 3 years. Neither of us act that way and we hope to instill that in Rory. I think the world might be a bit nicer if we all approached life from that viewpoint....And I could be thinking about it too much!
We ended our evening eating at Mimi's Cafe. It was the first time we'd eaten there since it's not a restaurant we had in our area before moving--it was quite yummy! It was fun to try a new place together!
All in all it was a wonderful afternoon and we were so happy to spend it together!

No comments:
Post a Comment